Effexor XR is used for treating depression, generalized or social anxiety disorder, or panic disorder. Effexor XR is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It works by restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain (serotonin and norepinephrine), which helps to improve certain mood problems.
Use Effexor XR as directed by your doctor.
- Take Effexor XR by mouth with food.
- Take Effexor XR with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Swallow Effexor XR whole. Do not break, crush, chew, or place in water before swallowing. If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and sprinkle the contents over a spoonful of applesauce. Mix the medicine with the applesauce and swallow the mixture right away, followed by a glass of water. Do not crush or chew the medicine before swallowing.
- Effexor XR works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Continue to take Effexor XR even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Effexor XR without checking with your doctor. Side effects may occur. They may include mental or mood changes, numbness or tingling of the skin, dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, headache, increased sweating, loss of coordination or balance, flu-like symptoms, nausea, ringing in the ears, seizures, tremor, trouble sleeping, or unusual tiredness.
- If you miss a dose of Effexor XR, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Effexor XR.
Store Effexor XR at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Effexor XR out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Venlafaxine hydrochloride.